Outreachy | Week 8
This was a wonderful week in my internship🌻 Let’s take a look then:
My first two patches get merged 🎉
Starting with some great stuff i.e. yay! my two patches get merged into OpenStack and I can’t express my feeling how happy I feel during the whole week :) You can find both here if you wanna learn more about it:
- 799997: Add — wait flag to the create share group operation | https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/python-manilaclient/+/799997
- 795990: Replace assertDictMatch with assertDictEqual method in tests | https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/manila/+/795990
Contributing to both the patches was very challenging for me, from not knowing anything about Python and unit testing to working on such patches with a huge codebase in Python. All I can say is I have learned a lot(i mean it!) when I worked on both the patches. Also, I am now more familiar with OpenStack stuff.
GHC Open Source Day
As I was mentoring for OpenStack project, it was an amazing experience for me because I got out of my comfort zone and delivered a presentation about Git and Gerrit and shared about Outreachy internship and my Outreachy Internship experience. The best part was when I heard from my mentor that I was awesome during the presentation :)
- I’m contributing to the OpenStack projects which are based on Python skillsets. I started improving those skills by looking into Python courses and blogs. I’m getting so much comfortable with Python code now.
- I started building little projects and doing some challenges in Python just to explore something new daily in it.
- In the upcoming week, I’m looking to learn about unit testing in Python.
Ongoing work and some updates
- My internship has been extended for two more weeks and I’m happy because I’m enjoying my internship and building my skillsets :) Well, this is extended because things were slow in the starting weeks(due to some blockers) and we were not able to focus on the main project tasks. So outreachy organizers decided to give me two more weeks so that I can get full time to work on project tasks. ✨
- Okay, so there is one more update which is that from now we are dropping manila ui stuff from my task list and moving forward to focus on contributing to another project i.e. OpenStack Manila — OSC Integration with python-manilaclient. (well more on this later)
- Currently, I’m working on two patches from python-manilaclient project- in which the first one is all about adding — wait flag in delete share group operation. This will make the CLI wait for the operation to be completed before returning to the prompt. The second one is all about adding a “ — wait” option for managing/unmanaging a share server, this one is similar to the previous one.
Yep! So that’s all I have for this week 🙋🏻♀️